Monday, February 6, 2012

Monday Feb 6, 2012

Monday and Tuesday this week students will get a break from the classroom and will be in the computer lab taking their ClassScape mid year assessment. Questions will be EOG style, and will cover material that students have already seen, as well as some material that we have not yet covered.

Last Friday, students recieved their graded quizzes. Overall the scores were good, but there were still way too many "silly" mistakes due to not taking their time or checking answers. I still have a few students that seem to be making up their own way to multiply, simplify, and convert fractions.

I am not one to give much extra credit, but I did give students a chance to EARN some extra points on Friday. After reviewing each question on the quiz, I presented students with 8 questions that were VERY similar to what were on the quiz. There was a possible 10 points to be earned from these questions. I also awarded 1 point each for each of the 3 outlines that students filled out over the last couple of weeks. I reminded students all week that I would be checking to see that they were bringing their materials to class. I was impressed with the number of students that had all 3 outlines completed and organized in their binders.

On Wednesday, we will be back to the classroom to continue our unit on fractions.
Wednesday and Thursday we will begin multiplying mixed numbers, as well as dividing fractions. We will be using the same skills that we learned last week, so I expect students to pick up on multiplying mixed numbers and dividing fractions quickly.

As always, feel free to email me with any questions or concerns that you or your child may have.
nathan.culp@nhcs.net